Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Outer Banks Report Day 2

   Today I got up at 5:30 and rigged up my rods to head to the pier...A west wind had put a halt to our boat plans for the day, but the ocean was pretty calm right at the beach. I walked on the beach from our house to the pier, and arrived around 6:15. There were lots of schools of menhaden in the area, but no fish with them...Finally the blues started to hit pretty steadily. I mainly caught fish on a Gotcha Plug, but I also caught a few casting 1/8oz and 1/4oz jigs I tied up. The fish left the area around 8:00, and I caught a few croakers bottom fishing but that got old pretty quick. My brothers and I headed to the Washington Baum Bridge to try for some sheepshead, we only caught one small sheepshead and some little bottom fish. I also lost a black drum that was at least 5 pounds.
    I headed to the pier again this evening, and the spanish mackerel were hitting pretty well. I caught 5 on a Gotcha Plug, my brothers landed some, and my friend Kevin caught one nice mack'. We ended up keeping a dozen spanish, the biggest being 21", and 4 of them were over 18". There were more blues than spanish, but I fished my bait fast enough that I didn't have to deal with so many blues (only caught 11). The conditions are looking good for mid-morning to early afternoon tomorrow so hopefully we can play around at some nearshore wrecks on our boat... I will try to update tomorrow evening. Thanks for reading!

No comments: