Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Monday, June 17, 2013

OBX Fishing Report Day 3

This morning I got to the pier before sunrise, and fished til 7:30, only catching 6 blues, most that I saw caught were just random fish, but I saw 2 or 3 schools. I then went out on our boat, we trolled clark spoons outside of Oregon Inlet. The water was 76 degrees and very dirty. There were pelicans diving in every direction and menhaden were jumping everywhere. We only landed 3 blues in our 3 hours of trolling, and it was so windy that we decided to just head in since we could do better on the pier. I bottom fished for a while and caught some silver perch and pinfish, and then my brother Wyatt and I found a school of silver perch right behind the trough near the beach. I went back to our house for an hour to re-energize, and headed to the pier to see if the blues and spanish had showed up yet. I fished near the surf for a while and landed a nice sea mullet, but when I saw a pin-rig fisherman hooked up, I headed out to see what it was. I arrived just in time to see a 32" striper hit the deck! I was very surprised to see a striper this time of year, and so was everyone else, but they say it happens from time to time. I started casting with a Got-Cha plug and ended up catching some fish...I landed some blues and 3 spanish, before a girl who hadn't fished much before at all hooked into  something big. I shrugged it off as another stingray but the more I watched her rod, I realized that this might not be a sting ray. When the fish finally surfaced, the pin-riggers grabbed a gaff and a net and everyone was yelling "COBIA COBIA!" and there was a huge crowd around the girl who was hooked up. The fish was netted and fell out, then after another 5 minutes it broke the line. I was shocked that the fight lasted that long, she was using an "el-cheapo" Daiwa spinning rod with 10 pound test, a Got-Cha plug and NO LEADER! I would estimate the fish was around 20-30 pounds, and would love to see one eat MY Got-Cha some time this week. I fished for a while after the fish was lost, and caught a few more blues, but was pushed off the pier by a storm...I am now sitting in my house waiting for the storm to pass and hopefully I can get back out while the blues and spanish are hitting! Thanks for reading!

No comments: