Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Saturday, June 15, 2013

OBX Fishing Report Day 1

     Arrived in the Outer Banks at noon today, put the boat in the water at Oregon Inlet Fishing Center and headed to the inlet. Saw a few menhaden schools in the inlet but the water was too rough for us to stick around, so we kept on going. Water temp just outside the inlet was 70 degrees, very clear green/blue water. Headed to the AR145 wreck, saw some cownose rays and a small cobia on the way there, but we ran right by the cobia and he headed for the bottom. We cast bucktails at the buoy when we got there, and at least 30 amberjack followed them to the boat, but no hits. We tied up to the buoy, and Ewing hooked a big AJ near the bottom on a bucktail. He fought it for 6 or 7 minutes but it went into the wreck and cut him off. Wyatt boated a 29" (fork length) amberjack and we stuck it in the box, we usually keep one to eat fresh. In the meantime, I was gazing at 1000s of spadefish hanging out near the buoy. I rigged up a 10lb flurocarbon  leader on my spinning rod and cast a piece of clam into the school. An hour later I learned that spadefish make me angry, none of them even looked at it! We all rigged up for AJs, and within 5 minutes, we had a triple hookup. Ewing and I landed ours, but Wyatt's fish came unbuttoned. Ewing and Wyatt both landed another AJ, but I re-rigged. I had forgotten my pole spear tip, so I tied up the closest thing I had to a spear...A heavy wire treble hook with a 1oz weight below it. I lost probably 5 spades before landing the first one, a fish of about 8 pounds. It gave me a run for my money, the hook got him just in front of the tail so I couldn't turn him. I landed 3 more before we left, the biggest one being 5 pounds. No pictures today, I might end up just posting them at the end of the week. I caught a bunch of sand fleas today, and we are going to give the sheepshead a try at a bridge tomorrow. The weather will decide which bridge we go to. Thanks for reading and check in tomorrow night, I will try to give daily reports!

No comments: