Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Monday, October 1, 2012

Hollymead Lake Grass Carp

Ethan's 26" Grassie on top, my 28" Grassie on the bottom.
     This Sunday, a friend and I went to fish the lake near his house, we packed 3 rods and mainly planned to bass fish, but he said he had seen carp before so I brought a couple cans of corn just in case. We began casting in the shallows with a plastic worms, but drew no strikes. We moved on down the bank and spotted two nice grassies in the shallow, maybe a foot of water, so I approached without stealth and threw a bunch of corn into the water. 10 minutes later, we had a dozen or so grass carp in front of us in <2 feet of water. I cast 2 carolina rigs out with corn on them and had a take, but my drag wasn't set tight enough so my circle hook didn't find its place in the corner of the carps mouth. I re-baited the rods and cast out again, forgetting to tighten the drag, missed another fish, luckily, I remembered on the 3rd fish to tighten it, but broke off at the bank when he shook his head and did a death roll. However, we got ourselves together and landed 3 after that, a 26, 27, and 28 inch carp. We moved on after that and caught a few bass, crappies, and bluegills, mainly to see what else the lake had to offer. I am headed to the lake tomorrow afternoon to try for some more, and I will make another post on that trip too (as long as we do well) Thanks for reading! 
                        Caught in a pool that was less than a foot deep in the creek feeding out of the lake

No comments: