Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Some "Backyard" Pond Fishing









                                           First bass on the bottom, 2nd bass on the top
    
    Did some fishing with my 3 weight TFO fly rod today... Headed down to my neighbors pond, and tied up a #6 gold flash clouser that I got from the trout unlimited camp I attended this summer (thanks for tying them Andy!). Unfortunately, I only caught a few bluegills and a small bass, so I switched over to a #8 olive krystal bugger. I found a good school of crappies and sunfish and probably caught 10 sunnies and 20 crappies in 2 hours of fishing that school. I was fishing the krystal bugger through the same area I had been catching the fish in, and felt another hit, but when I set the hook, It didn't move at all, I though I was snagged, but then it started shaking its head. After about a 2 minute fight, I secured a firm grip on the bass's jaw and lifted him out of the water. I estimated the fish at 2 1/2 pounds and 16-17 inches long. I took a quick picture and released the fish. On my very next cast, I set the hook and instantly knew I had another big bass hooked up. After a tough battle on 4x tippet, I brought the bass to the net. I estimated that fish to be about 15-16 inches long and 2 pounds, a near mirror image of the first one.  No more big ones after those two, but I did keep 4 crappies for my dinner this evening, seasoned them with cornmeal and panko bread crumbs, it was some pretty good stuff. Thanks for reading!
                                                                      DINNER :)  

No comments: