Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

New "Fish Catcher"

 After spending quite a bit of time whipping up crazy concoctions on my vise, I finally came up with something that looks decent, and I don't think it has been previously created. First off, I used a #8 4x long streamer hook from Daiichi, but I'm sure it can be tied anywhere from #12-#2 if you have the right length hair. I use squirrel tail for the tail of the fly, which should be about 3/4 the length of the hook, and brown "awesome possum" dubbing for the body, although any dubbing would probaby work...I didn't rib this fly, but it would probably look better and be more durable if I did. I used brown biots for the legs, and tying them all in uniformly is quite a challenge, but I did my best, and tied them in the back half of the body starting just in front of the tail (tie a pair of biots in, then wrap the dubbing over it, and repeat)...I finished the fly up with some bead chain eyes to help it swim "hook point up" so it can be fished over "snaggy" bottom. I have already caught largemouth and smallmouth with it, and I will try to test it on trout and carp when I get the chance... If anyone has an idea on what I should name it, leave a comment for me!
 
I still need to improve the consistency of the flies as I tie them, but keep in mind these were the first 3 I tied!

No comments: