Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Spring Is On Its Way!

       Today I headed down to the local pond, armed with my TFO 3 weight and a box of flies. It was very warm today, nearly 60 degrees and sunny, and that kind of weather makes me want to fish (even though any weather makes me want to fish). I tied up one of the #14 bead head hares ear nymphs that I tied, with a stiff hackle wrapped around the upper half and trimmed short like a CK nymph. I caught a 5" crappie on my 2nd cast, and another crappie on the cast after that, around 8". I ended up catching 4 bluegill and 6 crappie on that fly, then changed to a black #14 bead head CK nymph, since the water was stained and I needed a faster sinking fly (tungsten bead on this, brass on the hares ear). I ended up landing a total of 17 fish, 10 crappie and 7 bluegill, because the bite shut down after a while. But hopefully the weather will continue to warm, and I will be able to start catching more fish. The transition seasons, fall and spring, are always the best time of the year to catch fish! Thanks for reading!
                                    Good looking bull bluegill...
 
I was surprised to catch so many 9-10" crappies like this one on a #14 nymph!

No comments: