Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Fly Fishing in Heavy Snow

      This afternoon, it started snowing... A lot... So I told mother nature "challenge accepted" and grabbed my fly rod. I headed down to my neighbors pond, tied up a #10 bead head black krystal bugger. On my first cast, I noticed the snow was so thick, that I couldn't watch the line, so I had to wait til I felt the rod load up before I continued the cast. This was very difficult, but I managed to get a halfway decent cast out. I then put the rod under my arm and blew on my hands until they were warm, and pulled a strip of line in. I immediately felt weight and set the hook. It felt like a glob of seaweed but I had felt a bite, so I expected to see a small crappie on my line. It turned out to be a bluegill though, just an incredibly sluggish one. I landed another bluegill around the same size on the very next cast, and it too fought like a glob of seaweed! I continued casting, without any strikes, and moved locations. I caught one more zombie bluegill, they had apparently decided it was time to stop fighting, even though I haven't caught a single one this year that did that. The only time I have had bluegill "not fight" was when I went night fly fishing in the summer with a flash clouser and caught a few bluegill. That was it for the day, despite my efforts towards a largemouth, dragging flies slowly through the bottom of all the deep spots in the pond. They just weren't hungry.
       On a side note, I found a killer deal at walmart today while I was picking up a pack of hooks for crappie fishing. They had a "kitty pool" slammed full of spinners and hardbaits, and everything was labeled as $1.50 each! I bought 4 Heddon Zara Puppies, and 3 small hula poppers. Zara puppies are around 6 dollars retail price, same with hula poppers. After analyzing my purchases, I will be going back to look for more haha! Thanks for reading!
                        I will update with fish pictures later!

No comments: