Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Crankbait Fishing for Prespawn Bass

       This afternoon, I headed to my neighbors ponds (2 of them) to see how my recently purchased Rebel "Teeny Wee-R" and a Rebel 3" floater ran at various speeds. I rigged up my Field and Stream 5'6" ultralight with 4lb mono, this is probably my main setup for throwing these tiny crankbaits. The first lure I tested was a Teeny Wee-R in the crawfish color. I hooked a 9" crappie on my very first cast, and was shocked to see that he got both trebles in his mouth, and wasn't just nipping at the bait. After this, I managed to land 6 more fish on the Teeny Wee-R, all largemouth in 3 feet of water, I guess the water is warmer on the flat so fish are congregating there. I then changed to a 3" floater, and fished it in the same areas, with a couple snaps thrown into the retrieve, more like fishing a jerkbait. I landed 4 more bass on that, 3 of them being a pound or better.      I ended the day with 10 largemouth in 2 hours, as well as the crappie. 6 of those 10 bass were a pound or better, the biggest being around 2 pounds. I was quite shocked to have this luck, especially since the snow is still melting from the storm we had on Sunday, so it is by no means warm weather... Thanks for reading!
 
 



No comments: