Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Moormans River, the Return Trip

       My brother Ewing and I headed to the Moormans river for an evening trip on Tuesday. When we got there, two fisherman were already at the pool we planned to fish and although we had other pools to fish, this pool is very large so we gave them space to fish and fished above and below them, they were on the biggest school of fish. Ewing hooked up into a nice rainbow about 5 minutes into fishing, fishing with a #14 green weenie I tied at trout camp this summer haha, he landed it and we snapped a picture and released the fish. I ended up landing 3 rainbows in the hour we fished, just couldn't pull myself together, had two jump off, 3 or 4 came unbuttoned, foul hooked one, I broke the tippet on the hookset twice (the more frustrated you become, the stronger your hooksets become, and not in a good way), and missed/"rolled" at least 25 fish because they would take the bait and immediately spit it out. But if I caught bunch of fish every time I went, I would lose interest in the sport. So trip number two wasn't as successful, but I still caught 3 trout, better than none. And I heard through the fly fishing grapevine that there may be a portion of the North Fork of the Rivanna River turned into delayed harvest trout water with TU!!!!!! Thanks for reading!
                                                 One of my rainbows caught on an egg fly
Ewings Moormans River 'bow, might I add that he had never caught a trout on the fly besides at the Graves Mountain Pay Pond, so props to him for getting this one when fishing was "tuff".                                  

No comments: