Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Hughes River Chunker-Stockers

Today my brothers and I went fishing at the Hughes river in madison county near the border of rappahannock county, they stocked yesterday. The creek must have gotten hammered because there were only 1-6 fish in each hole that normally holds 10-30 freshly stocked fish. Thats okay though, the 5 we caught were pigs. We caught them on trout magnets, and I finessed one on a #18 treble with one crappie nibble and a 2lb flurocarbon leader. Wyatt landed his biggest trout ever apart from Jurrassic Pond and pay ponds, a 16" gorgeous brown. We kept all 5 fish we landed, the smallest being a 13" chunky 'bow, and the biggest was Wyatts brown. I kept the skein from the females (besides the part we ate, tastes like an over-easy egg when fried lol) and I am curing it in some borax to use in the morning for fallfish. Ewing and I will be deploying steelhead tactics on fallfish in the morning before church. But more on that tomorrow... Here are some pics... Thanks for reading!

 Baby smallmouth interrupted, a welcomed guest in December though.
                                                     "Small"-est fish of the day@13"
My biggest fish of the day, caught right as we were leaving around dark so the picture is pretty blurry.

No comments: