Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Virginia Beach Fishing

      Sorry I haven't made any posts lately, I was at the beach alll of memorial day weekend, and was prettybusy with school stuff all of last week, but I'm back now, and this will be a pretty good post... The weather for memorial day weekend was looking spectacular, so I packed all of our light and ultra light rods spooled with 4 pound test and we each took a medium or medium heavy spooled with heavier line for the bigger fish. We arrived at the beach around 11pm and pier passes go to 12am so we weren't going to spend money untill the morning. What we did find were some pigeons roosting under the pier so I stood on wyatts shoulders and caught one with my hands, I think we recieved some odd looks from beach goers that night.
       Anyways, back to fishing, I woke up at 6:00 and headed to the pier with my two brothers. We rigged up rods with #6 gold light wire hooks and dropped some squid on the pilings. We probably caught 30 pinfish and a couple silver perch, but that got boring and we decided to look for other fish. We headed to the end of the pier and set rods waaay out with pieces of shrimp and squid, and soon found that the area was loaded with small sea mullet, up to maybe 12 inches. We caught probably 30 of those in an hour and then I saw some fish running bait so I tied a gotcha plug onto my medium heavy with a shimano symetre 3000 spooled with 15lb braid. I fished for probably and our and couldn't get them to strike but then I noticed that they were probably bonita when I saw them cuttting through the schools of bait with immense speed. So I started fishing really fast and my gotcha was immediatley slammed by something that peeled a decent amount of drag and after about a 2 minute fight, I slung up what I thought was a nice bonita (false albacore). But I soon realized that I had just landed my very first jack crevalle! He only weighed about 2 pounds, maybe 13 or 14 inches long, But boy do they fight. Unfortunately this was the only jack we caught this trip. 
       A little while later, I noticed that there were small fish feeding on minnows right in the breakers, so I grabbed my light action rod spooled with 4 pound test and tied up a 1/32oz marabou jig and started casting it at them. After about 10 casts I hooked a fish that turned out to be a baby false albacore, around 8 inches long. I kept trying for another but this was the only one that would strike. I jigged the bait around the pilings and caught on giant spot and a 13" puppy drum. The action on the bottom was good pretty much all day and we caught tons of sea mullet, spot, and pinfish.      
           Thanks for reading!

No comments: