Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Fallfish in Flood Waters

    The north fork of the rivanna river, that runs behind my house,  recently flooded, so I gave it a day to clear up and recede, then headed down to do some fallfish fishing. Fallfish are much like the european "chub", except for the fact that we rarely see them over 15 inches. Despite most beliefs on eating "creek chubs", fallfish are a very good eating fish, incredibly mild, and I personally would put them above trout on the dinner table, and I was craving fish.  So we grabbed 4 light tackle set ups, a can of corn, and some stringers, and headed to the river.
     Fallfish will agressively take artificials but the water was going to be off color so I  went with corn for bait. We set up at a deep hole with a fallen tree in the middle, and I threw in a handfull of corn, and we cast out our 4 rods. My little brother hooked into a nice fish but it turned out to be a smallmouth around 10 inches, and we let it go. I hooked a good one right after that and it too was about a 10 inch smallie, and we turned that fish loose. Then we caught 2 keeper fallfish around 9 inches long, and then it got reallllllyyy slow. We weren't catching anything except small river chubs, so we moved to a pool a little up stream.
The fish on the right side is a river chub, this one was full of parasites so we couldn't eat it :(     
     We immediately started getting good bites and quickly landed a 10 inch fallfish, and put it on the stringer. After sorting through many bluegill and river chubs, I landed another small smallmouth, which I returned to the river. We ended up landing a total of 7 keeper fallfish, 2 being 12 inches long, fairly large specimens, but nothing unusually large. So If you have acess to fallfish in your area, I encourage you to fish for them, they are a fun fish to catch, a fun fish to eat, and they will hit in water anywhere from 40 degrees to 85 degrees, so you can catch them year round. They prefer small, fast moving rivers, and they will hit pretty much any bait they can fit in their mouth, although different water conditions call for different techniques. Thanks for reading!
  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I have never heard of fallfish until this post, we don't have em down here in Alabama. We have creek chubs and a couple other types of chubs, but nothing that gets as big as the fallfish. Thanks for the info.

Aaron Hanlin
Birmingham Alabama

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog it's awesome! Fallfish are extremely prevalent in the river near my home because they enjoy the shallow, clean, oxygenated water below the dam which is also pretty close to my home. I think you're pretty brave to eat them! I've always had this dislike of these Carp-like fish, but Fallfish are native to my province of Ontario, Canada and I have wondered what they taste like but never have had the heart to cut them up and try them lol. I have a feeling they would have very white meat much like Crappie or Walleye. The only reason I think these Fallfish would taste good is because they live in very clean water. I actually took the plunge and ate a bunch of Rock Bass and they were absolutely excellent. Plentiful, ugly, and so good! lol. I think I'm going to start a blog like yours from a Canadian perspective. Thanks for the idea. Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

Did you make a blog yet? Send me a link!