Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Rapala DT4 Review

  The Rapala DT4 is a shallow running balsa crankbait that I fish pretty much like a squarebill even though it has a round lip. I find that it does well in cooler water temperatures and/or when fish are less active than normal (cold fronts, high pressure systems, etc). It quickly became my favorite fall bait last year when I caught over 100 bass on one DT4  that I didn't even own for a whole month (the bait has headed to the big tacklebox in the sky unfortunately). Most reviews I read about this bait say that the lips break off of them, I haven't experienced this with any of the baits and I am guilty of slapping the bait on the water to get grass off of it. The paint holds up really well, and the stock hooks are great.
   As stated earlier, this bait shines for me when I'm in a situation where I would want to throw a squarebill but I need something a little more subtle. I tried two other shallow running crankbaits I like, the Bandit 100 series and a Strike King 1.5, and they didn't produce the same (strike king is better in warm water).
    I was catching fish in water that ranged from 1-5 feet of visibility, and the temperatures ranged anywhere from the low 60s to the mid 50s in October and November. Once the water dropped below 55 they quit eating it. I fished the bait on 10lb fluorocarbon on a medium action crankbait rod. The reason I fished the lighter line is because it does run pretty shallow and any extra depth typically helped me. Fluorocarbon was definitely a must because the fish sometimes hit the bait softly and it didn't feel a whole lot differently than bumping into a twig or rock. I used 10lb p-line fluoroclear a couple times and it just wasn't sensitive enough. I fished around a lot of rock which meant I had to re-tie often, but I'll take the time to do that if it's helping me catch more fish. My favorite colors are Bluegill and Pearl Grey Shiner. I used the Shiner in water that was more stained and bluegill in the clearer water.

    That's it. Here's some DT4 fish....

Air temps were in the 30s when I caught this fish

21"

                   
When they are eating it how you want them to be eating it, this is where you'll find your crankbait.
after 100+ bass





No comments: