Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Monday, March 28, 2016

Hot Side Spring Bass Fishing

    I had never tried the hot side in the spring until today, looks like I've been missing out! I Landed 52 bass, best 5 went 12.47lbs which is pretty good for the hot side. The main baits I used were a Keitech Swing Impact Fat 4.8" on a weightless swimbait hook, the always magical Nikko Worm on a 1/8oz Strike King football shakey head, a 4" GYCB Senko wacky riggged, and a Purple Smoke Zoom Z-Drop on a drop shot.
    I spent my whole day in pool 3, I never really paddled spot to spot, there were fish everywhere so I just fished everything, and caught them the whole time. If I was on a flat, I would throw the swimbait and cover water, if I came to a dock, laydown, or brush I would throw the shakey head, if I saw cruising fish, I would throw the senko. I used a drop shot to sight fish, and pull a couple fish off of beds. There were hundreds of bass in the shallows but they were mainly 12" and under, so I let a lot of fish swim by without paying them any mind. Out of 52 bass, only 4 of them weighed over 2lbs but I got to sight fish and it's warm out so I can't complain.
    I can't wait to go back!
The fish above and below were both exactly 2.49lbs and came off of wood cover on a Nikko Worm. You can even see the laydown in the photo below because the water is so clear!


This was the big fish of the day, 21" and 3.48lbs, caught her sight fishing with the drop shot.

Even caught this crazy looking bass

No comments: