Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Boatless in the Outer Banks

    Every summer, my family spends a week in the outer banks, and normally we have our 21' Hydra Sports and do a lot of wreck fishing, and if the sea conditions allow, we will head offshore. Due to a case of the BMDs (boat motor difficulties) we weren't able to fish out of our boat this year, so we fished from piers, docks, and out kayaks for the week. Even without out boat, we managed to have a halfway decent week, it would have been much better if Hurricane Arthur didn't come rolling through and trash the fishing for 2 days.
    I can't sum up the whole week with words, I would end up writing 2-3 pages before I covered everything...But here are some fish pictures:
One of only two sheepshead I caught during the week, I spotted this one feeding on a piling and casted a smal crab to it.
I caught this flounder trolling a crankbait from my kayak, they don't get enough credit for being aggressive fish!
Wyatt with a 21" and a 16.5" Speckled Trout he caught in his kayak.
We caught plenty of little spadefish like this one early in the week.
On the first day, within an hour of arriving, my little brother Ewing hooked this monster bluefish. I managed to get it in a pier net and bring it up. It measured 34" and weighed just under 9lbs.
On the last day we finally got into the bluefish, I don't keep them but someone I was fishing with does, so my brother and I tossed some in his cooler and I helped filet them.
One of many Sea Trout that we caught trolling gulps in from our kayaks

I caught this 26" baby cobia casting a bucktail when I saw him following a sea turtle...We tagged and released the fish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Based on your success you may want to remain on shore again next summer. Impressive catches...