Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Shimano Sellus Review

   I recently purchased a 6'6" Shimano Sellus Ultralight "trout/panfish" spinning rod. I have fished with it twice and so far it has performed well! I have a Sienna 1000 on it spooled with 6lb Berkley Nanofil. I have been fishing micro crankbaits with it, a technique I use for bass on this particular pond when the water cools down. It casts incredibly well, and doesn't bend double on a hard cast like many ultralights do. The rod is incredibly sensitive, I can feel when even the tiniest piece of algae gets on by bait, strike detection is a joke, it feels like someone hit the rod with a golf club when a bass eats the bait (and this time of year, they are hitting pretty softly). The rod has been designed so that it balances best with a reel on it, I was worried about this when I first opened up the package and felt the weight out towards the tip, but this changed drastically once I put the reel on. This rod has a backbone more comparable to a light action rod (it is rated for up to 10lb braid), but the top half of the rod definitely meets "ultralight" criteria. I would definitely recommend this to a trout fisherman, or someone who uses an ultralight in fairly open spaces with room to cast (6'6" isn't exactly a dock shooting rod) there are also 6' and 5'6" sizes, for those looking to fish for crappies and such. I will be fishing for lots of trout with it next week, so I should be able to update after that, thanks for reading! 
 Here is one of the bass I caught this evening, using a Rebel Teeny Wee-R crankbait in the shad color

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that sense of humor re the algae. Lots of luck with the new rod.

Anonymous said...

I can even detect when a plastid gets on my line with my Shimano Sellus Ultralight! One of the best rods ever made.

Anonymous said...

Cant decide if I want to buy a Sellus ultralight or something cheeper. What do you think? I don't have a pile of money.

Anonymous said...

Son, sounds like you need to go to K Mart.

Unknown said...

Well, I did some trout fishing with it this weekend, and I guess I bumped it on a rock some time during fishing, because the last eyelet chipped, and now it slices line as soon as it touches it. So I will be sending it back, to give it one more try. Hopefully it isn't a durability issue.

Anonymous said...

Them Shimano people are good folks. They will do you right.

Anonymous said...

Shimano backs it products. You should get years of use out of a rod from them.