Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Monday, September 30, 2013

Kayak Bass Fishing

   Today, my friend and I kayak fished a stretch of the South Fork of the Rivanna and some of it below the confluence of both forks. Today was probably one of the only days this year I was excited about targeting largemouths. There is something about a river largemouth that is more appealing to me than one from a lake or reservoir. I had recently stocked up on some soft plastics: senkos, brush hogs, speed craws, pit bosses, super flukes, and worms of all sorts. I started out fishing a 6" junebug Yum Dinger, and caught my first bass of the day, a fish of about 3 pounds, on it.  After watching many fish refuse the senko, I switched to a zoom speed craw texas rigged with a 1/8oz weight. I caught some smaller 1-2 pound largemouth and a couple little smallies as well using them.
    The real fishing didn't begin until I rigged up a Berkley Pit Boss. I had about a 2&1/2 pound smallie spit the hook on my 3rd or 4th cast, and after catching one or two more small largemouth, I landed my best fish of the day. It was a largemouth of about 5 pounds, taping out at 20", that came off of a sunken tree in about 6 feet of water. It was a gorgeous fish, and I released it after a couple of photos. After this fish, I landed a few more 2-3 pound largemouth before we had to start paddling. The wind was blowing at around 15mph directly upstream, so we were way behind schedule. The only real stop I made was at a pool that always holds a big bass. I had a largemouth that would have gone 4 or 5 pounds hit and then spit the bait back out before I set the hook, and I also saw the biggest smallmouth I have ever seen. It must have been 22 or 23" long and at least 6 or 7 pounds. Unfortunately he was old and wise and spooked as soon as he saw my bait. I will be back for that fish this year though, and hopefully I will be more prepared. Water temps are dropping, but the fishing is heating up, hopefully there is more coming my way this fall. Thanks for reading!
First fish of the day  
 The 5lber


No comments: