Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Virginia Citation Bluegill

       I finally got a chance to fish a pond that I knew had the potential to have numbers of citation hybrid bluegill. Over the course of 2 weeks, I manged to repeatedly nag my friend until he talked to the owners of the pond (his parents were friends with them). He called me this afternoon and said to grab my fishing stuff. The pond is about 4 acres in size, and the water is crystal clear because it is spring fed, but the wind was so bad that visibility was pretty poor. My brother Wyatt caught a 10.5" 'gill within 10 minutes of our arrival, and the bass were so thick that we all got distracted from bluegill to fish for them! Since the hybrid bluegill cannot reproduce, there isn't much of a food source for the bass, and we didn't catch a single fish over 2 pounds out of probably 80 landed. I personally landed 26 largemouth. Although there weren't many bluegill, there was a very good chance of each one being a citation. Out of the 5 that I landed, 3 were citations (11" or greater). Wyatt caught a citation on a Zoom Super Fluke (5" bass soft plastic) as well as an 11.5" fish that was foul hooked so we didn't count it as a citation. My little brother Ewing also landed 2 that would have been citations, but I was on the other side of the pond and he didn't want to bring them over to measure them. I don't think we will be able to fish the pond much, but when we do, I can guarantee you will hear about it. Thanks for reading!
 
Probably the biggest 'gill of the day, and very colorful!

 
This fish wasn't a citation, but it was very pretty

 
This was Wyatt's citation that hit a Super Fluke

 
My first citation of the day

 
We went to Lake Anna yesterday to watch some fireworks and I caught a pretty little Striper on my UL

1 comment:

Brandon Li said...

Those are some monster sunfish!
They are green-bluegill hybrids though. Catch them all the time. Still awesome!