Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Friday, June 28, 2013

Lake Orange Kayak Fishing

   Today I went to Lake Orange with my little brothers to do some kayak fishing. We started out casting slider grubs at a fallen tree in 10 feet of water, I caught a nice 11" crappie, and one slightly under the lake size limit of 9". After an hour of paddling around trying to find a school, we headed to the beaver hut that always produces tons of crappies this time of year, the problem is that 90% of them are undersized. As usual, we caught tons of 7-8&3/4" crappies, and I caught one keeper. Wyatt found a school on another brush pile, and he caught 2 keepers there. I cast a big worm on a carolina rig out into the main channel of the cove hoping a catfish would pick it up. I ended up catching a very nice redear, and then another one after that!
     Wyatt caught a nice 15 or 16" channel cat on a slider grub up next to the brush pile, so Ewing and I pitched our catfish rigs right at the brush. Ewing caught one, and I caught one almost right after that. We got pushed off the lake by a small thunderstorm, and headed back to the boat ramp to wait it out. Once the storm cleared, we headed back out and began "beaver hut hopping". By the end of the day, we ended up with 4 keeper crappies (probably over 100 released), 9 channel catfish, 2 yellow perch, 7 redear sunfish, and a huge 8" green sunfish.


 
This would be the downside to fishing with cutbait...

 
Pretty Green Sunfish

 
Average size Redear

 
We caught at least 100 that looked like this

No comments: