Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Moormans River TU Chapter

   Today I purchased a permit for the Thomas Jefferson Trout Unlimited section of the Moormans River below Sugar Hollow Reservoir. I bought the permit for $50 at The Albemarle Angler(www.albemarleangler.com). I arrived at the river at 4:00, giving me an hour to an hour and 15 minutes or so to fish before dark. I saw one other angler today, he said he hadn't had any luck.
     I started fishing at a very large, slow moving pool. I was shocked to see about 300 or so trout lined up like cars in a parking lot. I thought to myself  "this is gonna be so easy" and cast my flash clouser into the middle of a thick pod. I had a few follow it, but none struck. I changed to a #12 bh yellow sally, and caught one 12" 'bow, but that was the only taker on the nymph. A few fish (20 is a few compared to 300) were rising so I tied up a generic #14 mayfly pattern and plopped it next to what the fish were feeding on. I hooked and lost one fish, and saw many refuse the fly. This was beginning to remind me of my experience at rose river farm this summer. Thinking back to that time, I tied up a #14 pink egg, and was pleasantly surprised to immediately bring a 14" 'bow to the net. After that, I proceeded to slay the trout on egg flies, changing because I was bending the hooks from releasing the fish by grabbing the fly with forceps while they were still in the water and popping it loose and they were absolutely shredding the flies as well. I ended up with one hook and a couple wraps of thread at one point. I fished untill it was too dark to see my fly, and called it a day with 18 released 'bows. I probably missed around 30 fish as well because they were doing the routine when they spit the fly as soon as it dissappears in their mouth. Needless to say, I will be returning many times to the Moormans River, thanks for reading!
                                                  Note the egg fly in the nose of this 'bow
                   Did my best to pose with a fish, but he kept squirming and it turned out a little fuzzy.

 
Quite a fat fish, the fly fell out of his mouth and is just sitting in the net, he isn't foul hooked.

No comments: