Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Monday, December 31, 2012

Another Day on The Moormans TU Section

    This afternoon, we headed up to the Moormans River below Sugar Hollow to play with some stocked rainbows on egg patterns. We tied up with various #10 eggs and began casting. I caught  the first trout, a 13 or 14" rainbow, and Ewing followed up with another 12 or 13" fish. Wyatt tied into one on his 4 weight and brought another nice 13-14" or so trout. We fished for 3 hours or so, and fishing was tough, I downsized to a #16 flash egg (pink egg with around 5mm of flashabou sticking out the back on the hook shank) and caught 3 more, then they quit hitting. A few fish were rising so I tied up a #16 parachute adams, and landed another fish about the same size as the others. We headed up to another hole and the fish weren't cooperating there either. I managed a nice 16" rainbow on my white #14 bead head "trout magnet fly".
    We soon realized that the trees we hung up in all day long were troublesome to every other fly angler who fished here, and collected around a dozen flies, including a #6 neon orange krystal bugger, 3 black wooly buggers of various styles, a black #8 krystal bugger with rubber legs, a couple stimulators, a couple dries and nymph, and a #6 gummi minnow, that retails for around 6$ if I'm not mistaking. So a good day fishing and a 20 dollar addition to the fly boxes free of charge, not a bad day if I do say so myself. Thanks for reading!
 


No comments: