Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Monday, November 19, 2012

Fly Fishing for November Fallfish

        My friend Kevin and I decided that we would go try to catch some fallfish on our 4 weights last Sunday. We grabbed some flies, suited up in warm clothes and chest waders, and headed to the North Fork of the Rivanna River. We got to our favorite section for this time of year at around 4:00pm, Kevin dragged a super heavy #12 bh nymph made entirely out of peacock herl tied with a short stubby tail and a fat body, I used a #12 trout magnet immitation under an indicator. We fished 2 or 3 swift holes with no strikes. We made our way up to a pool that has a depth of about 5 feet at the top and gradually slopes up to 1 foot of water at the end of the pool, it is about 80 yards long and 30 feet wide. I slung a #8 olive conehead wooly bugger out into 3 feet of water, and when I felt a few ticks on the line, I set the hook very quickly. I saw a 16" fall fish, the biggest I have ever hooked, roll over and flash his silvery scales at me as I broke the tippet because I set the hook too hard.
Kevin with a 9"er
        
            I immediately saw 10 or 15 other fallfish begin moving about on the bottom, and told Kevin to cast. He immediately caught a nice 9" fallfish, and before I could re-tie, he landed another one. I tied up a super heavy #6 black wooly bugger I tied, and caught 3 nice fallfish, but still no 16 inch trophy. We worked our way up about 100 yards, and finally found another pool. I caught quite a few 6-9" fallfish, but none of any real size. We headed out after that, and I caught a few more at the pool we fished first. We ended up catching 12 fallfish, not bad for a 2 hour fly fishing trip in November. So my theory that fallfish bite year round is holding true, and I will be testing this theory in December and January, we catch them all the time in February and March, the best time of year to catch them in my opinion. Thanks for reading!
                                             Decent fallfish on the TFO 3/4 weight
                                               Probably the biggest fallfish landed of the day

No comments: