Canal Flatties

Canal Flatties

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day Stockers

Today I woke up at 5:00 am and went turkey hunting on a property in orange county... I saw  nothing at all, so when I got home I called up my grandfather and he said he could take me to sugar hollow reservoir to trout fish for a little bit this evening. After the 45 minute drive, I hopped out of the car at the dam to check for a couple that hang around the pull off spot by a log jam. When I walked down I was pleased to see 3 small brookies next to the bank, so I cast my trout magnet near them and worked it through the school. Out of no where, a 12 inch brookie surged in and smashed the bait in 1 foot of water. I brought that one to the net and added it to my bucket. On my very next cast I hooked another great 11.5 inch brookie, I kept that one as well. Immediately I caught another nice brookie, and by now I was getting confused, the lake hadn't been stocked in a month, what the heck were these fish doing here? I released the fish.
     I walked over to where I had been casting and my eyes were as big as golfballs when I looked down upon the school of 300+ brookies, once again, here at sugar hollow, I was there the day of stocking! I caught probably 10 more, keeping 1 nice one, and releasing the rest. I tied on a 1/32oz white marabou jig to try to entice a larger fish. It worked, I landed  a monster, a 13 inch male with huge shoulders. I kept him and then the school pretty much shut down, so I tied up a #10 egg hook. I pinned a tiny earthworm on it, leaving the whole worm dangling down, I caught my last keeper on this, and released one little guy.
     I walked down to the weir below the dam (most people think this is the fly fishing only with a 45$ permit part...it's not haha) I cast a 1/8oz castmaster out into the heavy current, I had a few taps but no hook ups. I made 5 more casts only hooking 1 fish that came unbuttoned instantly. I made a few more casts and hooked into a nice fish, a beautiful rainbow, I was easing my net into the water when it threw the hook. But I already had my 6 fish limit so I would've released it anyways, the only loss from that was a photo opportunity. That concludes my trip to sugar hollow on election day, thanks for reading!
 
My big male brookie.
My limit of fish, the 13" at the top.
 My second best green sunfish ever caught on a trout magnet late this evening at sugar hollow.
                                                                

No comments: